I promised something different toady so here we go! I have been trying to eat a little healthier and since I love cooking thought I might share a few ideas on here in case anyone else wants to try them.
The farmer who owns that farm where I keep my pony kindly gave us some of her home grown carrots and potatoes, so I decided that I would make a super filling soup with lots of vegetable. Since I’m vegetarian I’ve used Quron Chicken Pieces but you could easily switch it for real chicken if you like.
The paprika is optional as when I tasted the soup during cooking I felt that it needed something else added to it. I feel that paprika works really well with sweet potatoes and I always use it when making my sweet potato fries.
This makes about 4 good sized portions.
2 sweet potatoes
2 regular potatoes
Smoked paprika (optional)
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 5.
- Wash and peel the carrots, sweet potatoes and regular potatoes.
- Cut the carrots and sweet potatoes into slices. With the regular potatoes I like to keep these quite chunky so I cut them into quarters.
- Add all these to the pot of water and boil; then turn down to a simmer for around 15 mins until the sweet potatoes are soft.
- While you’re waiting on the carrots and potatoes to cook, cut your pepper into little chunks. Place on a baking tray and stick in the oven.
- When the carrots and potatoes are ready turn off the heat and make the stock.
- This will vary but I used two stock cubes which required 950ml of boiling water.
- Drain the vegetables and leave the regular potatoes to one side. Place the carrots and the sweet potato in a blender. You may have to add a little stock to the blender so that it blends easily.
- I’ve used boil in the bag rice which needed to cook for just under 20 minutes. This step may change depending on the instructions, so if it’s about the same time then add it to a pot of boiling water now.
- In a pot a little spot of cooking oil and fry the chicken style pieces until slightly brown.
- Now add the blended mixture and the regular potatoes to the pot with the chicken style pieces. Add stock until it’s a thickness that you like and keep on a low to medium heat.
- The pepper should be ready at this point so take them out the oven.
- When the rice is ready drain this and add to the soup pot, you will probably need to add more stock at this point.
- Add in the peppers and the sweet corn. If using the paprika add it in at this point too. Cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- And that’s you ready to serve with some thick crusty bread!
I’d love to know if you enjoy posts like this and whether you would like to see some more; I was thinking that the next one I might share would be my sweet potatoe fries 🙂